Estate & Probate Matters
Estate Planning, Life Planning, & Probate Administration
Are you dealing with an elderly parent, disabled family member, or a special needs child? Do you have young children you need to plan for, in the event something should happen to you? Do you feel overwhelmed by the important legal decisions that need to be made? You are not alone. We can help you.
At Greenberg & Lanz, we have more than 30 years of experience in providing estate administration, life planning, and probate administration. This allows us to advise clients on the best options for their future as well as their family’s future. At our law firm, we offer effective legal strategies for everybody in your family.
Life Planning, Estate Planning, Probate, & Estate Administration
Hackensack Guardianship Lawyers
The guardian of a person is responsible for everything, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. At Greenberg & Lanz, our lawyers have been appointed by the Court as guardian of the person and property and have also been retained privately on numerous occasions to fulfill similar functions (often in conjunction with a power of attorney and/or living will). Having a responsive, experienced, trusted and caring guardian seeing to the affairs of your loved one can put your mind at ease during this stressful time.
To learn how we can assist with the care of your family member, call 201-487-7755 or contact us online today.
Who We Help
Individuals who often need a guardian of the person include older persons who are mentally incapacitated as a result of:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Developmental disabilities
- Physical disabilities
Some of these persons remain in their homes with live-in, 24 hour care, or part-time care. Others live in facilities which include nursing homes, assisted living, short term sub-acute and/or rehabilitation facilities, group homes, boarding homes or with other family members.
Mr. Greenberg has been appointed by the Court as a special medical guardian for people who have no one to make decisions for them and are unable to do so themselves. They may have Alzheimer’s disease, or be developmentally disabled. He has served as guardian for people living in group homes and those who require more services.
How We Help
As guardian or attorney-in-fact for an incapacitated person, our experienced Hackensack guardianship attorneys become very hands-on in order to develop a complete picture of the person. By getting to know them, having frequent contact and obtaining their input (in instances when this is possible), we are able to really understand the person’s history to aid in decision making. We deal with issues concerning:
- Living arrangements
- Medical care
- At home care
- Real and personal property
In particular, we assist or take the lead in assembling, leading and managing the care team. This can include licensed home health aides, nurses, doctors, social workers/care managers, hospice professionals, physical and other therapists. We work with financial advisers to invest whatever financial resources may exist. We can also provide bookkeeping services when appropriate and can represent you and your loved ones in guardianship litigation if needed.
Representative Examples of Our Work
- Mr. Greenberg serves as Court appointed Guardian for an elderly woman with no close relatives who is mentally incapacitated and suffers from dementia. She lives in her own single family residence with 24 hour live in assistance for which Mr. Greenberg is responsible, along with responsibility for managing her very substantial assets. We are proud of the care provided for her as well as the effective management of her assets without deterioration during a period when other managers suffered severe losses due to economic conditions. Her late husband’s final illness lasted almost one (1) year, during much of which time he was also mentally incapacitated. During that time he had a number of surgeries and required, at various times, care in hospitals, nursing homes, subacute and rehabilitation facilities. He also received care at home, including hospice care, for substantial periods of time. We assembled and were in charge of the care teams including aides, nurses, social workers/care managers and doctors.
- For a number of years, Mr. Greenberg served as Court-appointed Guardian for an older woman who was mentally incapacitated and suffered from rather mild dementia. Mr. Greenberg arranged for her to live in a home-like facility in the community so that she could come and go to senior centers and other agreed activities on a schedule set up by Mr. Greenberg. Supervision of this type of Guardianship also requires special knowledge.
- For approximately 15 years Mr. Greenberg advised an elderly client on her various life choices, care and economic matters as her physical condition, unfortunately, steadily deteriorated. Eventually, Mr. Greenberg was responsible for formulating and supervising her care plan and for her moves to assisted living and eventually a nursing home. Mr. Greenberg was also responsible for managing her considerable assets and ultimately for selling her home and liquidating her valuable art and jewelry.
- In another instance the relatively young spouse of a very wealthy older gentleman was suffering from advanced dementia. The older gentleman applied to the Court to be appointed Guardian and to engage in sophisticated estate planning on behalf of his ill spouse. Mr. Greenberg was appointed by the Court to review the proposed estate plan and to report to the Court as to whether the interests of the ill spouse were being properly protected and whether sufficient funds would be available for her future care.
Discover How We Can Help You and Your Family
At Greenberg & Lanz, we understand the stress families are under when a loved one becomes in need of a guardian. At times like this, experience counts. You need a compassionate and dedicated attorney you can trust. To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Call us at 201-487-7755 or contact us online today.
Representation of a Guardian
Hackensack Representation of a Guardian Lawyers
Making the decision to seek the Court’s approval to become the appointed guardian of an elderly or disabled family member is an emotional one. When you are ready to take this step, you need a responsive, experienced, trusted and caring attorney by your side.
At Greenberg & Lanz, our attorneys have nearly 30 years of experience representing clients who seek to be appointed as guardians for their loved ones. We will walk you through the process, so you are able to make informed, appropriate decisions for your family’s future. Call 201-487-7755 or Contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation, and find out how we can help you.
A guardian’s responsibilities include all living arrangements, medical care and management of all finances, real property and personal property. At Greenberg & Lanz, we can represent you in applying to the Court to become a guardian, and then continue to provide guidance in your decisions and duties as a guardian.
A person is in need of a guardian when they have become too incapacitated to make financial, health care and legal decisions for themselves. To have a guardian appointed for a loved one, the person must be determined incapacitated by a judge. Then the Judge will decide who the best person is to be appointed as guardian. This is often a document-intensive and complex legal process, and deserves a dedicated and compassionate attorney who will get to know you and your family member in order to present the best possible case.
Often times, there are other issues that come along with becoming guardian. As your legal representative, we can help with other life planning and estate planning matters, such as:
- Hearings to determine incapacity
- Advising trustees and serving as trustees for an adult family member with special needs
- Setting up power of attorney
- Annual reporting (expenses)
- Annual accounting (inventory of trust or guardianship assets)
- Discharge of the guardian at the end of the case (death, age of maturity or transfer of guardianship)
- Guardianship litigation
Hackensack Representation of a Guardian Attorneys
At the law office of Greenberg & Lanz, we can help you take the legal steps necessary to be granted guardianship over an elderly loved one. We have built a 30 year reputation for trusted and effective representation.
To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Contact us online or at 201-487-7755 to schedule your free initial consultation in our New Jersey office.
Guardianship-Related Fiduciary Services
Guardianship-Related Fiduciary Services
Experienced in Protecting the Vulnerable
Responsibilities short of a full Guardianship can also involve Medical Guardianships, or private appointment as Health Care Representative under a living will (advance directive). In these situations, the attorneys of Greenberg & Lanz are responsible for all medical decisions. In instances of a Medical Guardianship, there is usually an emergent need for immediate medical care and decisions. With regard to private assignments, we may be advised in advance that we will have to step in to make decisions, or again it may be an emergent situation.
We do not “call it in.” We go to the hospital, home, etc., and meet with doctors and other care givers; we assess the person’s total condition and needs and try to make the best decision for them.
One doctor told us that for over 20 years he had been working with attorneys who were appointed Guardian and that Mr. Greenberg was the first one who came to the hospital; the other attorneys did not come to the hospital when their ward was hospitalized, but rather simply telephoned the doctor and, no matter how serious the situation was, told the doctor to do what he thought best.
Similarly, appointment as a Guardian ad Litem involves appointment for a particular purpose, usually for a short period of time. This can include the task of investigating and advising the Court as to whether the person is, in fact, mentally incapacitated, and it can also include investigation and advice to the Court as to who might be an appropriate Guardian in each instance. Mr. Greenberg has also been appointed by the Court as attorney for alleged mentally incapacitated persons.
Contact Us Today
To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Call 201-487-7755 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.
Hackensack Probate Administration Lawyers
New Jersey Probate Court Lawyers
The death of a loved one is always a very stressful time for a family. Whether you have recently lost a loved one or want to plan for the future of your family, we will help you make important decisions and lead you through the legal process. The attorneys at Greenberg & Lanz understand the pressures faced by surviving family members and can assist in the administration of the estate.
Representative case: Attorney Steven Morey Greenberg is presently serving as executor of a large estate, having been appointed by the decedent. Mr. Greenberg is also serving as court-appointed guardian the decedent’s surviving spouse, who also appointed him as executor of her estate. The situation involves assets in more than one state, a large trust for the surviving spouse and millions of dollars.
The administration of a loved one’s estate involves many duties. Executors, administrators and trustees are called fiduciaries. Fiduciaries are held to a high standard of care for the manner in which they manage the estate’s money and assets for others, including the decedent, the beneficiaries or heirs, and the decedent’s creditors. We have undertaken the role of fiduciary for clients many times and have served in the following positions at the request of clients:
- Executor (appointed in a will)
- Court-appointed administrator of estates
- Health care representative
- Manager of client’s affairs pursuant to power of attorney
- Gathering of all information about assets and heirs, the will and other documents, and selling real and personal property, and how best to dispose of unique and valuable property
Our attorneys can be full-time, comprehensive advisors as to everything that is going on with the estate of your loved one. We also file estate tax returns and transfer inheritance tax returns, work with accountants of the estate and prepare formal and informal accountings for the Court’s review.
Contact Us Today
We provide compassionate and caring guidance when you have been appointed as the executor or administrator of the estate, taking the stress off your shoulders so you have time for yourself and your family. You do not have to go through this alone. To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Call our experienced Hackensack attorneys at 201-487-7755 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation, and let us help you during this difficult time.
Hackensack Life Planning and Estate Planning Lawyers
New Jersey Wills Lawyers
Have you planned for the eventuality that you may become temporarily or permanently unable to handle your personal or business affairs? The busy world in which we live, and our immersion in our day to day activities, often leads us to postpone addressing these questions.
At Greenberg & Lanz, we can help you plan properly for these eventualities. You should have a hand in defining what you would like your senior years to look like, and only when you have done so then adopting the appropriate tactics to accomplish your goals. To learn how we can assist you with planning for the future, call 201-487-7755 or contact us online today.
Hackensack Estate Planning Attorneys
Have you considered:
• Preparing and executing a will and estate plan which will assure that your estate will be handled as you wish by trusted family members or other trusted advisors of your own choosing?
• Planning through a living will, health care proxy and Power of Attorney for a loved one or trusted friend to act on your behalf, if you become unable to do so?
• Entering into an agreement that provides for the smooth functioning of your business in the event of your temporary or permanent absence and providing for the disposition of your interest in the business?
The attorneys at Greenberg & Lanz have more than 30 years of experience in these areas. This includes locating, investing, valuing and liquidating assets. We have knowledgeable investment advisors and appraisers upon whom we can call to deal with the simplest and/or the most complex situations. We are experienced in locating heirs and resolving disputes as to the identity of heirs. We will also prepare and file State of New Jersey and U.S. Estate Tax Returns and New Jersey Transfer Inheritance Tax Returns where appropriate.
Comprehensive Estate Planning
Our extensive service as executors and administrators of estates and as trustees of various trusts means that we are familiar with your concerns and how best to satisfy them. Likewise, our representation of various businesses, and our service as court-appointed special fiscal agent and receiver, enables us to deal effectively with issues of business succession planning.
When it comes to the future of you, your family and your business, you need a compassionate and dedicated attorney you can trust. To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Call us at 201-487-7755 or contact us online today.
Trusts/Special Needs Trusts
Hackensack Trusts Lawyers
New Jersey Trust Lawyers
As part of a comprehensive estate plan, you probably have questions about the best way to transfer your assets to the next generation in your family. For these situations, you need an experienced, compassionate and responsive attorney who will look out for your best interests and give you peace of mind for the future.
At Greenberg & Lanz, our attorneys have more than 30 years of experience assisting individuals with their estate planning and trust needs in Hackensack and throughout New Jersey.
Looking at the Big Picture
Some trusts are used as part of the probate process. Trusts are often a useful tool as part of your estate plan. It can direct who should inherit, name the trustee and often will contain other important provisions. At Greenberg & Lanz, we assist clients with administering various trusts, including:
- Irrevocable/revocable trusts
- Insurance trusts
- Surviving spouse trusts
- Special needs trusts
- Other trusts tailored to an individual need
In dealing with these trusts, it is important to ascertain and follow the wishes of the individual, but also to adapt to changing times and the unanticipated needs of the beneficiaries. Our attorneys understand that in this rapidly evolving and challenging economic and investment environment, close attention must be devoted to this. You can count on us for experience and forward thinking when you and your family need it most.
Steven Morey Greenberg has been appointed by the Court to act as Trustee of various trusts and he has also been retained privately by clients in many instances to serve as trustee. The trusts range in size from relatively modest assets to assets valued at millions of dollars.
New Jersey Special Needs Trust Lawyers
Representative Case: For approximately 10 years, attorney Steven Morey Greenberg has served as court-appointed trustee for a developmentally disabled adult who has no close family and lives in a group home. Mr. Greenberg was originally appointed to protect this person’s interests in litigation with another family member, but he now, in effect, serves as this person’s family, coordinating her continued eligibility for governmental assistance and all of her care and needs. He manages this person’s modest sized special needs trust to provide supplementary needs.
At Greenberg & Lanz, our Hackensack trusts attorneys often receive calls from other attorneys and social service agencies for assistance administering special needs trusts and we are proud of our reputation for competent and compassionate legal guidance. We understand that the nature of these trusts means our representation goes beyond administering funds, but helping the individual find resources in the community that will help them use their money economically and to qualify for other programs.
Contact Us Today
When developing your estate plan, you need a compassionate and dedicated attorney you can trust. To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Call us at 201-487-7755 or contact us online today.
Responsibilities of a Trustee
Hackensack Lawyers: Trustee Responsibilities
New Jersey Estate Trustee Lawyers
During these difficult times, it is important to entrust your legal and personal matters to a legal team who has the experience to look after your best interests now and into the future. When you are deciding the best way to distribute your assets to the next generation in your family, it is often not a simple matter and you may not even realize all the factors there are to consider.
At Greenberg & Lanz, we have been trusted by clients and courts to handle all the responsibilities of a trustee for more than 30 years. Call 201-487-7755 or contact us online today to schedule your free initial consultation.
Getting to Know You
Administering a trust requires more than just disbursing funds. A trustee is responsible for strategic and sound investment decisions to keep the funds safe into the future. A trustee must also make sure the right spending decisions are being made. This involves working closely with the client and beneficiaries in order to know their circumstances and goals. This close relationship provides confidence in working towards these decisions together.
For instance, if a trust is set up to be used for college tuition, our attorneys are going to meet with the beneficiary to make sure they are getting the best tuition in accordance with the trust funds, that they are getting any loans they may need and making sure that the college they choose is the best college for their future goals.
This high level of personal commitment to our clients ensures that the trust will be administered in accordance with the decedent’s wishes. It also gives peace of mind that should something unexpected occur, the trust and the beneficiaries will be taken care of.
Privately Retained or Court-Appointed
Attorney Steven Morey Greenberg has been appointed by Courts a number of times to act as trustee of various trusts and he has also been retained privately by clients in many instances to serve as trustee. The trusts range in size from relatively modest assets to assets valued at millions of dollars. Our attorneys are also available as counsel in trust, guardianship and probate litigation.
When developing your estate plan, you need a compassionate and dedicated attorney with the experience you can trust. To discover how we can help you, speak with our Hackensack business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate and estate administration lawyers. Call us at 201-487-7755 or contact us online today.
Information coming soon…
There When You Need Us Most
Planning out your estate isn’t something to take lightly. At our law firm, we have built a reputation for comprehensive, hands-on client service in estate planning and probate administration. We have helped clients throughout all stages of the process, including:
Life Planning Services:
- Guardianship for your loved ones, including physically or developmentally disabled adults.
- Estate Planning, including wills, healthcare proxies, and powers of attorney.
- Advice regarding becoming the guardian or another or representing a guardian in court.
- Guardianship-related fiduciary services, including Medical Guardianships, appointment as a Healthcare Representative, or guardian ad litem.
- Developing trusts and special needs trusts to meet your specific goals.
- Facilities and care arrangements for determining the right level of care to moving loved ones from out-of-state.
- Probate administration representing the executor or administrator of an estate or being appointed by the court as an administrator of an estate.
- Administering trusts that adhere to your wishes while maintaining flexibility for an unsure future.
- Catastrophic loss of parents: the sudden, unexpected death of a parent can create issues requiring special creativity and experience to resolve. We are experienced in handling these complicated issues.
Protecting Your Best Interests
We understand that our job is not just from nine to five. Life is uncertain, and our estate planning attorneys will be there for you whenever you have tough decisions to make. We will get to know you by understanding your situation and paying attention to your goals and wishes for the future.
By knowing all of your estate planning and probate options, you can make the most informed decisions for your future. At times like this, experience truly counts. That is why you can turn to us when you need any business law, litigation, life planning, estate planning, probate, or estate administration services.
Contact us to schedule your free initial consultation.